Banana bread has to be one of my favourite cakes, maybe second only to date loaf. The best thing is that it is also really quick and easy to make. Once you know what you are doing it can be in the oven within about 10 minutes, what more could you want. Served with a generous spread of butter it is so good that I could easily eat the whole thing myself. I would usually make it with nuts, such as diced walnuts or slivered almonds, mixed through the mixture to add a nice bit of contrasting texture and flavour. I made this one sans nuts because I am taking it to my step-brother house for dessert and he isn’t a big nut fan. I also used bio-dynamic whole-wheat flour because it is simply the most epic flour ever, but you can use normal white or wholemeal self raising flour and leave out the baking powder.
Ingredients (serves 8):
- 265g (1 3/4 cups) plain biodynamic whole-wheat flour (can be substituted for self-raising flour)
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder (leave out if using self-raising flour)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 140g (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 125ml milk
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 50g butter, melted, cooled
- 2 overripe large bananas, mashed (you can go nuts with these, I have used up to 4)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius. Brush 11 x 21cm loaf tin with butter (or oil spray) and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Mix in sugar and baking powder. Make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk, eggs, bananas, and melted butter. Add this banana mixture to the flour and stir until just combined. At first it will look like there is not enough liquids but then all of a sudden the batter will become nice and gooey. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and tap the tin several times to level the mix and remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Serve with a generous spread of butter and a nice cup of tea if desired. Enjoy!